Thursday 26 February 2009

Mark 9:24; Immediately the father of the child cried out and said with tears, "Lord, I believe; help my unbelief!"

Tiffany Rozek was talking to me the other day about “anchor verses”, verses you return to in times of difficulty, doubt and spiritual warfare (which you often find rolled into one!). I thought about what mine were and I returned to this verse in Mark chapter 9, which has been a comfort to me since I began walking with the Lord.

In this scene Jesus returns down from the mountain after glowing with Moses and Elijah, to find his disciples at odds with the scribes (again) and it turns out they were unable to cast out a mute spirit. The father of the unfortunate boy asks Jesus to help them, and Jesus said to him, "If you can believe, all things are possible to him who believes." [Mark 9:23]. The challenge is simple; do you believe? I personally am a doubting Thomas, I have very little faith and often question myself, my calling, and even my salvation. I know that all I need is the faith of a mustard seed, but what if I have even messed that up? This cry from the boys father is something that I feel like I need to cry almost every day; "Lord, I believe; help my unbelief!" Lord I doubt, Lord I am faithless, Lord I can't see past my circumstances.

What was the answer in this case? The father asked Jesus to heal his son, Jesus said “if you can believe”, the father said “well I do and I don't, please help me with this”, what was Jesus' response? He healed his son! He did as the father asked Him to! He met the father where he was in his faith, and hearkened unto his desperate prayer. He did not forsake him for his weak faith. Neither does the Lord forsake us for our weakness, even in this. He understands our humanity, for He knows our frame, He remembers that we are dust. [Psalms 103:14].

No comments:

Post a Comment