Monday 19 January 2009

Sharing My Secret Place

I read Ezekiel 24 this morning in my quiet time and this section really struck me, and I want to share it with you guys:-

Ezekiel 24:15-18; Also the word of the LORD came unto me, saying, “Son of man, behold, I take away from thee the desire of thine eyes with a stroke: yet neither shalt thou mourn nor weep, neither shall thy tears run down. Forbear to cry, make no mourning for the dead, bind the tire of thine head upon thee, and put on thy shoes upon thy feet, and cover not thy lips, and eat not the bread of men.” So I spake unto the people in the morning: and at even my wife died; and I did in the morning as I was commanded.

The Lord tells Ezekiel that He is going to take away that which he holds most dear – his wife. He also commands him not to mourn or bear any signs of grief, and Ezekiel does as he is commanded.

I remembered that in “Christ's Call” KP Yohannan mentions a missionary who leaves his job, takes his wife and children and moves into the disease and poverty stricken slums to live and witness there. I remembered thinking that maybe by the grace of God I might be able to bring myself to do that one day, to completely disregard my own life for the sake of the Gospel. Just maybe. One day. But my wife and children?? I seriously doubt it! Yet these verses show a man who accepted even the loss of his most beloved for the fulfilment of God's sovereign purposes, which are greater even than mortal life and death. Nothing was dearer to him than obedience to the Lord.

In this case the purpose is given in verse 24:-

Ezekiel 24:24; “Thus Ezekiel is unto you a sign: according to all that he hath done shall ye do: and when this cometh, ye shall know that I am the Lord GOD.”

...what happened to Ezekiel was to be a sign to the house of Israel, a message, that they would know that it was the Lord God at work. We too are meant to be signs, messengers, and our greatest goal should be that people come to know the Lord God, the Lord Jesus who loved us and gave His life for us... and for them.

I personally believe that Ezekiel's wife would have been an Old Testament believer, and that today they are with the Lord, fellowshipping in His glory! And I believe that Ezekiel knew and trusted that this would be the case. I am sealed with the holy Spirit of promise who is the guarantee of my inheritance and one day I also will be with the Lord in glory. Could there possibly be too great a price for me to take someone there with me?

Luke 18:28-30; Then Peter said, “Lo, we have left all, and followed thee.” And he said unto them, “Verily I say unto you, There is no man that hath left house, or parents, or brethren, or wife, or children, for the kingdom of God's sake, who shall not receive manifold more in this present time, and in the world to come life everlasting.”

No comments:

Post a Comment